Want some hake? Check out the following places:
- 1/2 head cabbage
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon plus 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup peas- I'm going to use a handful or two of fresh snow peas.
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 lemon juice (less if you use fresh)
- 4-6 fillets of hake (or cod or pollock)
- Heat the oil and butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the cabbage, the pepper, and 1/2 teaspoon of the salt and sauté until soft and golden, 5 to 6 minutes. Add the peas and cook another minute. Remove from skillet to a plate, cover with foil, and set aside.
- Add the chicken broth, lemon juice, and remaining salt to the skillet and bring to a simmer. Place the hake in the pan and poach, covered, until opaque, about 4 minutes total, flipping carefully once. Transfer the cabbage and fish to plates.
- Boil the poaching liquid over high heat until slightly thickened, about 2 minutes. Spoon over the cabbage and fish before serving.