Thursday, May 12, 2011

The future of Lobsters on the Fly

We will be moving soon! To a REAL website!  On the website you will be able to find all of the information about my upcoming events: more cooking classes, the Big Green Bus, seafood throwdowns, local food events, contests and more information about upcoming Maine Seafood Marketing Network meetings.  And pictures, island living, healthy seafood tips and recipes too!   (I don't have time to keep updating a blog and I think I will be able to include more information on a website.)

Over the past month or so I have found myself getting a little frustrated with work.  I realized that I needed to refocus-- what are my goals with Lobsters on the Fly?  Why did I start this?  What am I frustrated about and at whom?  When you are passionate about something (like I am about food- of the local and seafood sorts) it is hard not to try and get your hands in everything!  So I took a step back and looked at what I was doing and readjusted my path.  Well, not readjusted it, just got back on it.

Lobsters on the Fly is a grassroots marketing iniatitive for Maine's seafood industry- working to promote our local seafood and support the fishermen who catch it.  (Or something like that... I'm still working on the specific tagline.)

Maine needs more large scale marketing efforts for our seafood but there are others out there working on that and I support them.  I like our local food movement so that's where I am going to stay for now.  (I hope that didn't sound negative- I just want to focus my efforts on the local food movement because it's important to me and there is a need there as well!)

So stay tuned for a new site... I've got some pretty cool stuff in the works, but like the fisherman's wife I am, I don't want to talk about it yet because I don't want to jinx it. 

For now, back to some recipes!



I am VERY LUCKY to have the Island Cooking book and I am actually afraid that some fellow Orr's/Bailey Islanders might see that I have it and come try to "borrow" it!  It is an especially cool book because the last 20 or so pages in the back have household tips! 

#414 Make an inexpensive glasses case, especially great for today's sunglasses, from a square potholder.  Just fold in half and sew the bottom and side.

#415 Do not discard worn pillow slips.  Cut a small hole in the seamed end and slip it over a hanger as protection for clothes.

And a recipe from the cookbook.  This one is from a favorite of mine who is no longer with us but is still thought of and missed very much by everyone.

Curried Shimp, Harriet Huff
I know the shrimp season is over but if you had listened to me before you probably have some in the freezer with a little milk.


(preheat oven to 425)

2 C. shrimp
1 can cream of celery soup
1/2 C milk
2 T butter
1/2 tsp curry powder
3 T ketchup
2 C boiled rice
dash of salt and pepper
2 T sherry

Combine all ingredients.  Put into greased 2 quart casserole.
Top with buttered crumbs.  Bake 20-30 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment